Friday, August 27, 2010

Interested in Awesome Metal Guitars























I grew up in Reseda California in the Metal years.

I lived across the street from Danny Olexyowics. He was the first guy I knwe with a Charvelle Jackson. The original San Dimas with 3 pickups and a floating trem and nut. As I grew up I often asked him to check out guitars I made and he would say simply that it wasnt a question of

the guitar but the wide fretboard needed to do some more elaborate scale runs. I at the time was clueless.


He brought a guy names Joe Holmes to our street. Crazy wild eyed young man with a 4 finger fret stretch tecnique. ( This was just Before Vai and way before Satriani, or Yngvie hit big- I say that because he was in "Steeler" and already very popular in the San Fernando Valley )

Joe later left his Valley Band Tarriff and at one point was an Ozzy Osbourne pick for touring after Brad Gillis and Jake E' Lee's short appearances in the mid 80s,

It wasn't until I saw exactly what Joe was doing that I recognized how awesome tricks like
tapping , dive bombing whammy bends, and finger grease techniques ..completely accelerated by a wide unglossed fretboard. ( oh and scallopped frets would be the next step )
I later played a Charvelle Charvette that was on the wall at Cowboy Star Guitars in Santa Barbara . It was smaller and liter than the San Dimas and the locking nut was odd to adjust but I wasn't turned on enough to buy it. As at the time I was a 12 string guitar guy doing alot of composition but ot alot of shredding.


It wasn't until nearly 10 years later that I bought a Peavy Spyder with a Floyd Rose Tremelo before I could combine trickery of the level I witnessed back in Reseda, and by that time everyone was doing it. Hair bands had started going over the top and the band I was in was doing psychedelic rock. I tride to keep the bar chords in the mix ..and somehow that band then turned grunge. so it eventually worked. I kept the spyder while playing in the band "Beatrice".
The Peavy eventually found its way to a friend of the family who passed away somewhere in "Farmersville CA" . It would be another 10 years before I sought another Metal lord guitar with a floating tremelo.
It wasn't until this April 2010 when I was in a Guitar Center in Dallas and discovered this Red Beveled Design, Rhoads JS 30 RR . I had just competed in the Guitar Center King of the Blues competition and been rewarded with a discount coupon card. For some god awful reason I felt the urge to spend money and hanging as a wall display was this model. I think initially the salesman ( or boy ) said that it most resembeled the ( ESP design for Alexi from Bodom' ) yet the
bevel was a design that Jackson tried on its limited number of Indian imports . The uncommon feature on this guitar is the steller Floyd Rose unit. Its light too under 7lbs, makes up for the awkward body style that typically makes these guitars difficult to play if you have a beer gut.
I have played it mostly thru a BOSS overdrive into the Raven 60. And for a while thru a Crate 2x140 into a Marshall lead cabinet that my homie in Greenville let me borrow. My ears star hurting after about 10 minutes and my fillings in my teeth do not like the high end at 100 watts.
Recently Ive decided that I'm selling it for under $400. simply because Im over 40 and its just so self indulgent to sit at home and shred on an awesome guitar .





No comments:

Post a Comment